"Let Us Leave The Past Aside" by Dalai Lama
''It has now been 48 years since the Chinese government first occupied my country. During this period, the Tibetan people have endured great hardships and they continue to be denied the many basic freedoms, which we in the free world take for granted, such as freedom of speech, of association and of religion.
I am deeply concerned for the well being of my people. In recent years, the local Chinese authorities in Tibet have dropped all pretence of respecting Tibet's unique culture and religious traditions and is now engaged in a systematic effort to destroy all that remains Tibetan in Tibet through a host of repressive regulations and practices. This, coupled with the continuing influx of Chinese settlers who now outnumber Tibetans, has led my people to become more and more marginalized in all spheres of life.
The situation inside Tibet brings me tremendous sorrow and my most urged objective has always been to end the suffering of the Tibetan people. My top priority is to protect and save the Tibetan's people cultural identity. Accordingly, I have tried to adopt a pragmatic approach to find a negotiated solution, which is mutually agreeable to the Tibetan and Chinese people. At the same time, I have counselled my people to pursue a path of non-violence even though I understand their frustrations at the lack of any positive developments. My hope is that the Chinese leadership will appreciate the importance of a peaceful settlement to the Tibetan situation, for no matter what the outcome, The Tibetan and Chinese people will have to live side by side. That is why the many proposals I have put forward over the years to peacefully resolve the situation in Tibet have been made in the spirit of reconciliation and compromise.
In fact, it was ten years ago that I announced my five Point Peace Plan here in the Congress of the United States. In that plan, I laid out my thoughts on a possible solution to the Tibetan situation and expressed my willingness to take into consideration the legitimate needs of China. The plan called for Tibet to be transformed into a Zone of Ahimsa or non-violence and for the Chinese government to abandon its population transfer of Chinese settlers into Tibet; to respect the Tibetan people's fundamental human rights; to restore and protect Tibet's environment; and to begin earnest negotiations on the issue of Tibet.
I had sincerely hoped that Mr. Deng Xiaoping would be able to find a solution to the situation in Tibet during his lifetime. In many ways, he was a great leader who brought new prosperity to the Chinese people. But he seemed unable to follow through with his promise to enter into substantive negotiations on the issue of Tibet.''
( These paragraphs are taken from the speech of Dalai Lama)
Comments
Post a Comment